Welp Ladies! It is here, for some this means non-stop basketball on the television. For us coach’s wives/girlfriends this means tournament time. Most of us are gearing up to travel for tournaments like myself (Arch Madness tournament). And if you are like me your anxiety is kicking in from all the packing and planning you have to do for your trip. Hopefully, I can ease your mind by giving you some traveling tips.
- Check the weather up until the day you leave. Although you may be already packed and ready to go. You can always take out and add clothing if the weather changes drastically.
- Pack as early as possible. Try to start packing a week early. I know this sounds far-fetched, but trust me it helps to eliminate last minute packing and you are less likely to forget things. This is extremely important when you have little ones.
- Snacks, especially if you are driving. Packing snacks or light meals will help you not have to spend so much money. Nothing is worst than going to the snack machine in the hotel to buy $2 chips. Try to pack a variety, even breakfast snacks for the little ones so you can sleep in a little without feeling rushed to wake up at the crack of dawn to get breakfast or figure it out.
- Medicine, I always pack medicine just because little ones always find a way to get sick when you are traveling. There is nothing worse than waking up to a sick child and not having anything to give them. I travel with Benadryl and Tylenol no matter where I go (along with a million other things).
- Research your hotel, so you know what amenities the hotel may offer. Also research things to do in the area, food places, and how far it is from the arena.
- Activities, the best thing about tournaments is that it gives your kids an experience they may not otherwise get. Find age appropriate activities for your kids to do or for yourself to do. Put them in order from most important to least important. The worst part about tournaments is that you hope to be there to the end, but each day is not promised.
I am in no way an expert on this subject, but in traveling to tournaments I have learned some things. And whether you travel to tournaments, to see relatives, or just vacationing having snacks for your kid is at the top of the list because, “Happy kids aint hangry, and hangry kids aint happy.”